The purpose of the entrepreneurship major is to prepare students to create their own opportunities through our top-ranked entrepreneurship curriculum. This major will teach students to discover and create opportunities, and pursue them through the creation of new products and services. Students will develop the diverse range of foundational skills necessary for them to become effective entrepreneurs.
Students will participate in highly experiential programs and activities offered by the Lassonde Institute at the Lassonde Studios, which is one of the most innovative entrepreneurship spaces in the world.
If you are admitted to Entrepreneurship major Summer 2016 or before please see checklist: HERE
If you are admitted to the Entrepreneurship major Fall 2016 or after please see checklist: HERE
Applying to the Entrepreneurship Major
Students wishing to apply to the Entreprenurship Major should submit an Application for Major Status in Entrepreneurship.
- Admission to all Eccles School majors is subject to the Eccles School Course Repeat Policy.
- Students starting college Fall 2015 or after may submit a maximum of two applications to each Eccles major.
Admission Criteria Fall 2016 or After:
Track # 1
- B+ or higher in ENTP 5765, Leading the Entrepreneurial Firm
- B+ or higher in ENTP 5770, Business Discovery and Creation
- B+ or higher in MKGT 3010, Principles of Marketing
- Minimum U of U GPA of 3.3 in Upper division business status
Track # 2
- B- or higher in FINAN 3040, Financial Management
- B- or higher in MKGT 3010, Principles of Marketing
- Minimum U of U GPA of 3.3
Upper division business status
Admission Criteria Summer 2016 or Before:
- Hold Upper Division status in the School of Business
- Completed ECON 2010, MGT 3810*, and MGT 3680 with a grade of "B-" or higher
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.1
- submitting an application does not guarantee admission to the major
- *WRTG 3016 can be only used in place of MGT 3810 if taken during or prior to Spring 2013 semester.
Academic Advising Questions
Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute
The Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute is a nationally ranked hub for student entrepreneurship and innovation at the University of Utah and an interdisciplinary division of the David Eccles School of Business. The first programs were offered in 2001, through the vision and support of Pierre Lassonde, an alumnus and successful mining entrepreneur. The institute now provides engagement opportunities for thousands of students to learn about entrepreneurship and innovation. Programs include graduate seminars, business plan competitions, startup support, innovation programs, scholarships, community outreach and more.
Newly opened fall 2016, the $45 million building merges 400 residences with a 20,000-square-foot creative workspace. It’s a place where diverse types of students live their passions, create new products and initiatives, and launch their futures. All students are welcome to live here and use the facility. All programs are open to students from any academic major or background. Learn more at Lassonde.Utah.edu.